One of the best practices for writers is to follow "The 5Ws" guideline, by investigating the Who, What, Where, When and Why of a story.
If you can’t identify what makes your story unique and interesting, chances are nobody else will either.
- Who is driving the story? Who is it about? Who is affected? Who benefits? Who loses?
- What has happened? What are the consequences? What does this mean for the reader?
- Where is this taking place (building, neighborhood, city, country)? Where should readers go to learn more?
- When did it happen (time of day, day, month, year)? When was the last update? When can you expect to learn more? When will the effects be felt?
- Why did this event take place? Why is this important in the big picture? Why should readers care?